Arts in Community Settings
This publication presents the findings of an evaluation of two community focussed grants programs, Arts Development for Communities and Arts Residencies undertaken in 2006.
The results of independently mediated focus groups with artists, community participants and partner organisations were the main source of data for the report. It was jointly produced by the research units at Creative Victoria and the Department for Planning and Community Development.
The report demonstrates that arts can be a powerful and inclusive way of strengthening communities by:
- engaging hard-to-reach populations, such as youth, ethnic and socio-economically disadvantaged communities;
- providing a creative focus for communities to explore issues and aspirations;
- creating new and diverse artistic work and cultural experiences;
- developing confidence, pride and a sense of belonging in participants; and
- providing artists and participants with new career pathways and work opportunities.